Make the Leap in February 2020
Fun fact: you probably already knew that “blog” is short for “weblog,” but did you know that the emphasis was on the “we”?
We Blog. Let’s make it happen with our Community Intensive Blogging Spark Program in February 2020. $300 CDN *
I believe that with the vital ingredients of confidence, courage and curiosity, you can build a blog that takes you places, a blog that’s true to the raw and unpolished roots of blogging, and one that makes your life better.
For many would-be writers, the greatest obstacle to blogging success is perfectionism, shame, and an undervaluing of one’s own voice and ideas—all of which are born from cultural expectations that conspire to keep women small and quiet, struggling to fit our lives and stories into impossibly limited containers that were never designed to hold the reality of our lives.
Who am I?
I’m Kerry Clare, and I provide online courses and consultation to bloggers (aspiring and otherwise), artists, writers, and entrepreneurs who are seeking direction in creating fun and fulfilling blogs that don’t just fit their lives, but even make life richer.
Because blogging is all about blazing a trail and breaking the rules, my job is to help you resist the tiny/tidy boxes and find your own way toward a sustainable blog that not only showcases your business or creative work, but where you can find the confidence to use your voice and explore new ideas while challenging the toxic tone of online discourse with nuance, thoughtfulness and curiosity (i.e. your own small corner of the internet is going to make the world a better place).
From 2011-2015, I taught a blogging course at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, and I also teach blogging workshops at literary festivals and training sessions throughout Ontario. And now with this new online program, I’m excited to apply what I’ve learned from nearly twenty years of blogging and from my experience as a blogging instructor to help you create the blog you’ve been dreaming of by empowering you to find and follow your own voice, to pursue your own curious avenues.
This way you don’t get caught up in those small and limited cookie-cutter templates of what a blog should be, or the way a person ought to exist on the internet, and can build an online space instead that is your own unique creation, as original and wonder-full as you are.
Find Your Blogging Spark
What you need to know:
- Course is online (via private website) so that you can study at Blog School from wherever you are
- Course is interactive, so you can ask creative and technical questions via email and receive feedback on your work
- Community components will take place on a private Instagram page, so that it’s easy and straightforward to take part
- Course enrollment is capped at 10 people so that the group is neither too big or too small, but just right
- Modules themselves are self-directed so you can take part (with two modules with be completed per week) according to your own schedule
- Course takes place throughout February 2020 so that you can stay focussed and excited about your project, which you’ll complete with momentum to build on
- Each module includes a writing exercise to generate ideas for future blog posts
- Each module features a writing assignment so that you will complete the course having 7 new blog posts published
- Modules are structured as blog posts so you can get comfortable engaging with the blog format within the course itself
- Each module comes with optional further reading to inspire you with the work of other bloggers and creative people.
Cost: $300.00 CDN
*Three spaces will be available for $80 for students who are already enrolled in the Find Your Blogging Spark Program
You can build a blog that takes you places, a blog that really fits your life and makes it richer.
Sign up for my newsletter
What students are saying about my blogging courses:
“I’m sad the workshop is ending. It’s been such an unexpected learning experience. I knew it would be great but it was way beyond what I could have imagined. “
“If you want to start a blog of your own, or if you’re floundering with your writing, I highly recommend this class!!! The instructor is pure gold!”
“I really enjoyed how Kerry tied the art of blogging to other art forms—literature, visual art, etc—and encouraged us to see blogging as part of a larger context. Was engaging and thought-provoking.”
“This course was exactly what I needed to get going with my blog.”
“A worthwhile course! I would recommend it to those who want to learn about blogging and all it encompasses.”
“Excellent! Very enjoyable learning experience.”
“I think Kerry did an excellent job of encouraging our individual voices and maintaining a respectful and productive learning environment. Loved the class—thanks, Kerry!”
“I just wanted to pass along how much your workshop and talking with you meant to me. You gave me comfort in so much of what you said…. not being perfect, that your blog can be elastic (not having to narrow down to a ‘niche’), and that as long as you are doing it for joy you will continue…and hone your skills.” —Emily Prout, Arrow It Forward
“I was looking for a revised definition of blogging that embraced self-expression and authenticity, something that jived with the kernel of an idea that’s been unfolding in my mind for a few months now. Happily, that’s exactly what I got.” –Aisha Ashraf, Member of the Writers Community of Durham Region
“Thanks again for coming out on Saturday. It was a great session, and I am sure that the team learned a lot from it. I look forward to our blog becoming more “artful”.” -University of Toronto Student Life “Seriously, I heard such good things about your workshop, the accolades are still rolling in.” —Susan Scott, The Wild Writers Festival
Do you already have a blog but want a new approach to it that feels fresh and exciting? Then Find Your Blogging Spark is for you!
And if you’re brand new to blogging, the course is a great place to get your start.
Curiosity, a sense of fun and wonder, a desire to learn and explore. Oh, and you need a blog. (Don’t have a blog yet? Sign up for a free one at WordPress or Blogger.)
- Module One: A Letter to the World
What’s a blog? What are blogs like? And why a blog at all?
- Module Two: The Advantages of Being Lost
The details of starting a blog, and finding your focus
- Module Three: Take the Reader by the Hand and Show Them What You Love
More on finding a focus and what to write about
- Module Four: On Using the Ingredients You Have at Home
More thinking of what to write about, finding time to write
- Module Five: On Blogging Like No One is Reading
Finding an audience. “Why would anyone care what I have to say, anyway?”
- Module Six: The Gifts of Imperfection
Stop polishing and publish that post! And how blogging taught me more than Brene Brown ever did
- Module Seven: Why a Blog Is Not a Hustle
In praise of slow blogging, immediacy, and why monetize means compromise
- Module Eight: The Future of Blogs Starts Now
“Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”
149.00/ Register for FIND YOUR BLOGGING SPARK
Sign up for my newsletter to receive blogging tips, news and updates, and learn more about opportunities to work with me.